Monday, January 25, 2010

What do the voices say?

It is SO easy to tell other people to do the right things. Especially in training.

Listen to your coach.
Do your intervals.
Record your workouts.
Eat the right macronutrients.
Get plenty of rest.


That last one is a doozy. Probably the easiest one to ignore.

With so much to do - a full-time job, a full training schedule and a social life - it's difficult to get enough sleep, slow down or admit that it's time for an off day. The voices in my head go back and forth, arguing these points nonstop. Just like I keep having to tell them, "No excuses," I also have to ask them, "What are your true priorities?"

Just this morning I found myself reassuring my teammate that a few days off the bike are better for getting over being sick than getting back into training too soon, while at the same time convincing myself that I should get on the trainer tonight even though I feel a cold coming on.

Luckily, I have a coach. I like to think that, for the most part, I do what my coach tells me to do. And today he told me to rest.

Ok, Coach. You win over the voices today.

No comments:

Post a Comment