Thursday, July 8, 2010

Altitude is Not Friendly

On the 4th of July I raced a crit in Hailey, Idaho, about 15 miles from the beautiful resort town of Sun Valley. The fields were small, and they raced the W1/2/3 field with the Masters men. Two of us gals hung with the pack the whole time - with the other girl even outsprinting the men for a prime. At about 6,000 ft altitude, my lungs were wondering where all the air was for most of the race, but I managed to hold position pretty well throughout. I went in with a training mindset, and that's definitely what I got! The course was friendly - flat, four corners - but with a stiff headwind on the finishing straight. It was a fantastic feeling, being able to take the corners hard, follow the right wheels and be assertive in the pack when I had to. I'm relatively certain I earned the guys' respect. It felt good.

This photo is taken coming out of turn 4.

(Photo credit: Bob Law)

Oh, and I got $100 for 2nd place. Twice as much as the cost to check my bike on the plane home. Rock on!

I'm headed back to Boise next Thursday for some Twilight Crit action. It's gonna be a doozy.

No comments:

Post a Comment