Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cascade, Day 2 - What a Ride!

This post will be short because it is already late and I have plenty to do in the morning before the girls start their TT's. Today can be summed up in one word: EXCITING. Let me give you a few highlights:
  • Tara's bike getting run over by another team's car backing up into it 7 minutes prior to rollout, her saddle being the only damaged part, the Metromint director lending us a saddle, and the Colavita mechanic and neutral support making every effort to get her bike back in working order in less than 5 minutes. Talk about an adrenaline rush! (*If anyone knows where to find Fizik saddles in Bend, please let me know.)
  • Realizing, while driving in the caravan, that I now have 3 (read it: THREE) riders in the breakaway, and that I have to pass the field to feed them, and decide when to come back to the field afterwards. How do I make these decisions?!
  • Zooming through narrow, well-paved roads in national forest terrain, chasing Comm 1, honking as I pass dropped riders, listening to Radio Tour for updates, and trying to write down all the garbled numbers that I hear before the next ones are relayed to me, before he gives the time gaps, before I --AAA! hit the brakes! don't crash into the Vera Bradley team car!
  • Giving Amy a successful first car feed.
  • Realizing that Keller Rohrback is 5th in Team GC (out of 14 teams), only 7 seconds out of 3rd, and knowing that we've got some stellar time trialists on our team, with the TT stage tomorrow.
More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment