Saturday, July 31, 2010

Cascade Wrap-Up and On

Well, Cascade finished up spectacularly! The Saturday evening criterium was fast and furious, with the expected teams making attacks and attempting breaks. Nothing stuck, though, and KR was active throughout, staying in the mix, and helping to bring back moves. The highlight of the night was Leah's fantastic move, sticking on the TIBCO leadout train through the finishing straight, and coming out the other side with 3rd place. Way to go, Leah and KR! That meant the 2nd podium finish for the team.

Sunday's road race was hot and heavy. With no cloud cover and no shade on the course, temps rose into the high 90's, and the hills took their toll on the field. Partway through the 2nd lap, a small break formed, which contained Tara. As the break began to lose steam, Tara took a gamble, and attacked from it. She managed to stay off solo until the finish, taking 1st place for KR, and moving up into 6th in the GC! Everyone on the team also moved up in GC, and the team finished 5th in Team GC, leaping ahead of Webcor on the final stage.

Three podium finishes, 2 of the top 5 young riders, 5th in Team GC, top 10 in individual GC... It'd say KR had one fantastic race, and boy did I have fun playing my part. I got to hang out with Tina Pic in the feed zone, drive in the caravan, and get to know all the KR composite girls. Plus, I learned that I totally love the job. I love planning logistics, making sure everything is ready, navigating to the race, taking care of the girls... I loved it all so much that I'm going to the Tour of Utah with the HB team to soigneur for them!

Yup, that's right, straight off the visit to my parents' in Massachusetts, I'm headed to Utah for a little under a week. I have never really spent time in Utah, and I'm very much looking forward the whole trip. Can't wait!

But first, one more week of work, then volunteering at the track nationals qualifier at Marymoor.

No comments:

Post a Comment